Craigslist San Diego has many purposes, one of which is a virtual marketplace, where users can offer items for sale. Create an ad on the site to sell something for free, and you can choose what price to ask. Always include relevant information in your advertisements, such as the condition of the items you are selling, whether or not they can be shipped, and how potential buyers should contact you. Craigslist San Diego offers to turn your original email into a temporary Craigslist San Diego email, so you don’t have to provide personal contact information in the ad if you feel uncomfortable doing so.
How to post an ad on Craigslist
The process for posting an ad on Craigslist is very simple. Just follow these steps:
- From a web browser, go to Craigslist.
The website will automatically take you to the local Craigslist classifieds that it thinks are best suited for you. However, if the city shown at the top is not the correct city for your post, you can navigate to the correct city using the column on the right of the page. The location column can be browsed by popular cities or by state.
2. Find your city and select it.
3. Click the Post to Classified Ad button at the top left of the page. You will then be directed to a page where you will select your publication category.
4. From this page, you can also log in if you have an account. To enter, just click on the enter button at the top right of the screen. However, you can go ahead and post without having an account.
5. Select your category and click continue.
At this point, you will be directed to select subcategories depending on the initial category you chose for your post.
6. Select a subcategory. Once you have selected the appropriate classification for your ad, you will be taken to a page where you can create your post.
7. Enter the post title, post body, zip code (your location), and other information required for your post.
The required information is highlighted in green. Any information outlined in black is optional.
8. After you have entered your details, click on the continue button. On the next page, you will see a map.
9. Here, you can tell potentially interested parties your location either by dragging a location marker to your location or entering your location into the text box.
10. Click continue from here to be redirected to the Add Image page.
11. On the Add Images page, you will select the Add Image button which will take you to the image stored on your device.
12. Select your image and proceed by selecting Done with Drawing. The final page is where you can review your ad and see how it will look to other Craigslist users.
13. When it looks the way you want, click the Publish button. If not, select “edit post, edit location, or edit picture to make changes. When you click the publish button, an email will be sent to the email address you entered in the posting information.
14. Open the email and select the link to publish.
Don’t forget to cancel your post with the email link when you no longer need the ad!
Craigslist also includes job, resume, personals, services, community discussions, and more.
Tips for your Craigslist San Diego post
There are a few items you need to consider when posting to Craigslist. If you want to stand out from other ads, you will want to entice possible buyers. Remember, however, that you also need to make sure you are honest and not putting yourself at risk.
Check out these tips for a quality ad:
- Thoroughly describe your item, service, or offer. Offer as many details as you can. Put yourself in the shoes of the buyer. What kinds of information would you be curious about if you were looking to purchase. Think about the following elements for your post:
- Special instructions or circumstances
- Take as many pictures as possible and make sure they are of good quality.
- Consider providing the reason you are selling. This is often overlooked, but letting people know why you are selling helps to relieve fears that you may be running a scam.
- Consider posting to several different cities in your area especially if you live in a low population area. This helps reach a larger audience of potential buyers.
Here are some tips for staying safe when arranging to meet a potential buyer:
- Always meet in a public place: Choose a well-lit area in a public place, preferably one that has people coming and going. Remember, you don’t know who you are meeting and they know what you have. Good meeting places include:
- Gas stations
- Popular shopping center or grocery parking lots
- Restaurant parking lots
- Police stations
- Take someone with you: There is safety in numbers.
- Tell someone where you are going, why you are going there, and when to expect you back: If something does happen, you want someone to have the necessary details of your meeting.
- Meet in daylight hours, never at night or when it’s dark outside: Meeting during the day increases visibility, which is an important element of safety.
- Take your cell phone and have it ready: You might even have an emergency number programmed in so you only have to hit one button if something should happen.
Basic Instructions to Sell on Craigslist San Diego
Point your Internet browser to the Craigslist home page and click on your city name in the right column of the screen. Click the blue “Post to Classified Ads” link in the upper left corner of your city’s Craigslist site.
Click the circle next to “For Sale” and select the “Continue” button at the bottom of the screen.
Select a category for your item, such as “Bicycles” or “Tools”, and click “Continue”. Select a region within your city, if prompted, such as “North San Diego County” and choose “Continue” again.
Use the form provided to create a title, price, and description for your ad. Enter your email in the properly labeled field and click on the circle next to “Hide” or “Anonymize”. A hidden email does not appear in the ad, and an anonymous email becomes a craigslist.org email address to use in the ad, but the incoming email is forwarded to your real email.
Click “Add / Edit” images to include photographs of the item you are selling. Once your ad is complete, click the “Continue” button.
Please check the email account for the address you provided for a new incoming message from Craigslist. Click on the link provided in the email to access a final online form, in which you can make the last changes before the ad runs. Once the ad is successful, select “Publish”. The ad will appear on Craigslist in 15 minutes.