Cloud Serpent Hunter Pets
Cloud Serpents are a new breed of Hunter pet added in Shadowlands and patch 9.0. Even though they are very unique, they are only part of the Snake family in general, which means all three Hunter specialties can tame and use them. Pandaren Hunters can tame Cloud Serpent by default, but all other races must obtain the How to School Snake item to unlock the Cloud Serpent taming.
Snake pets specialize in Cunning and their special ability is Snake Speed. You can learn more about pets’ abilities in the Shadowlands Hunter’s Pet Guide.
Reins of the Heavenly Onyx Cloud Serpent
Pandaren Hunters (both Alliance and Horde) can tame Cloud Serpents without any special requirements.
All other races must first obtain the tome How to School Your Serpent. This item was sold by San Redscale in the Jade Forest for a small amount of gold. The catch is that you have to be elevated with the Order of the Clouds Snakes to buy it.
Note that the ledger unlocks the Cloud Serpent taming for your entire account which means if you are glorified with other characters you can buy them there to unlock them in your account. You must use books on your great character (any class can use them). If you’re not needed on any character, you can see how to earn reputation in Wowhead’s Order of the Cloud Serpent guide.
Cloud Serpent Tames
Navigate with the tabs below to find out where to tame each type of Cloud Serpent There are currently 9 unique appearances, but many more are in the game so hopefully, we’ll see more in the future.
Normal Cloud Serpents
- The Ivory Cloud Serpent in Vale of Eternal Blossoms (Mogu Attack phase only) is a rare spawn that “drops” when you cast Zan-Tien Lasso at it. However, it can also be tamed if you are both in war mode and have N’lyeth’s toy, Sliver of N’Zoth active, making the creature hostile to you. Since you have to stand on solid ground to tame, a good spot is above the gate at 4,13,56,93. This cloud snake flies so fast that you should throw a tame animal as soon as you see it. Keep in mind that this rare item is in high demand for dropping mounts, so if you’re out of luck you can try again while everyone else is busy in Shadowlands.
- The Crimsonscale Firestorm is a common cloud snake you’ll find all over the Eternal Island.
- Onyx Stormclaws can be found on the northernmost island of the Townlong Steppes, accompanied by Shan’ze Serpentbinders.
- The Wild Onyx Snake flew high around Mount Neverest on Kun-Lai Peak. This one can be difficult to tame as there are several places to stand where you are within range to pull it, and at max level you will easily shoot it with any equipment.
- Haofeng appeared during Mogu Assaults in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms and only when the Serpent Binding world event was over.
- The Onyx Warserpent is available during Mogu Assaults in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms and can be found throughout the western part of the zone.
Thundering Cloud Serpents
- A new method to tame the Rajani Warriors in the Valley of Immortal Flowers (N’zoth Attack phase) was discovered by Sanghelios. Usually, these cloud snakes are friendly, but you can make them unfriendly by being in Warmode and using the N’lyeth toy, Sliver of N’Zoth. Then it’s just a matter of walking up and taming one of them! You’ll find it near the flight master in Mistfall Village.
- Huolon on Eternal Island will be a little tricky to tame as you’ll be competing with all the players who killed him for the suitable mounts he drops, Control of the Rumbling Onyx Cloud Snake. Huolon shows up every 30-60 minutes, and you may have better luck during the late nights.
Nalak on the Isle of Thunder is another formidable tamer as it is a world boss who is constantly camping for the ultra rare mountain he drops, Reins of the Thundering Cobalt Cloud Serpent. Nalak respawns every 15 minutes or so. Good luck!
- The Milau in the Valley of the Eternal Flowers (Pandaria’s original Mist phase) proved to be much more docile than other roaring snakes. You’ll find this one at the bottom of the Guo-Lai Halls in the north of the zone. You may need to talk to Zidormi to return to the old zone.
Heavenly Cloud Serpents
- Azure Serpent appeared during the first boss meeting in the basement of the Shado-Pan Monastery. Make sure you don’t have gear that can deal direct damage, as it can occur from casting Tame Beast and one snake shot. If the snake says it can’t be named, try going to the dungeon in Normal mode.
- Zhao-Ren can only be tamed by new Pandaren Hunters who haven’t chosen a faction yet, as he appears in The Wandering Isle’s starting zone.
- Tsulong, the raid boss of the Terrace of Endless Spring.
- Rei Lun appeared during the Mogu Raid in the Valley of Immortal Flowers, at the bottom of the Guo-Lai Hall. This is the same rarity that brought down the Original Cloud Snake Scale. Keep in mind this is level 52 so you won’t be able to tame it during pre-patch 9.0 when you are only level 50.
Astral Cloud Serpent
- Elegon was the penultimate boss in Mogu’shan Vaults raid, and it was different from the other cloud snakes in that it was a member of the Spirit Beast family, not the Snake family, meaning it was only available to Beast Mastery Hunters. This raid can easily be played alone by a level 50+ Hunter on any difficulty. Note that Elegon does not need the How To School Your Snake book.