After discussing How to Overcome Error 0x8007007e, this time the admin will discuss How to Remove Shortcut Virus. A shortcut virus is a kind of trojan/worm combination that hides all files and folders and replaces them with fake shortcuts.
When you open one of these fake shortcuts, the malware will duplicate the virus and infect the system, steal personal data, worsen system performance, and so on.
The shortcut virus will affect devices such as USB flash drives, external hard drives, and SD memory cards. Many types of shortcut viruses are not detected by antivirus software. Fortunately, removing shortcut viruses manually is relatively straightforward.
How to Get Rid of Shortcut Virus from External Devices
If you have a flash disk, external hard drive, or SD memory card that is infected with a shortcut virus, the infection will spread when you open it. Follow these steps to remove it.
– Plug in a virus-infected external device.
– Open File Explorer (Windows key + E) and look under Devices and drives to find an external device, then remember the drive letter (for example, the device is in the E: directory ).
– Open Command Prompt (Windows key + X) and choose Admin.
– At the command prompt, type the drive letter then press Enter.
– Remove all shortcuts on the device with this command.
del * .lnk
– Recover all files and folders on device with this command.
attrib -s -r -h / s / d *. *
How to Get Rid of Shortcut Virus Permanently on a PC
If your PC is infected with a shortcut virus, then every time you plug another device into your PC, the infection will spread to that device. Here’s how to remove shortcut viruses using CMD.
– Open Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc).
– In the Process tab, look for wscript.exe or wscript.vbs, right-click and select End Task.
– Close the Task Manager
– Open the Start Menu, search for regedit, and launch Registry Editor.
– In Registry Editor, navigate to the left sidebar
HKEY_CURRENT_USER / Software / Microsoft / Windows / CurrentVersion / Run
– In the right pane, look for strange-looking names, like odwcamszas, WXCKYz, OUzzckky, etc. For more info, head over to Google to see if the files are associated with the shortcut virus.
– If you are sure, right-click on the suspicious name and select Delete.
– Close the Registry Editor.
– Open Run (Windows key + R), type MSConfig, then click OK to open the System Configuration window.
– In the Startup tab, look for an .EXE or .VBS program that looks strange, select it and click Disable.
– Close the System Configuration window.
– Open Run (Windows key + R), type % TEMP%, then click OK to open the Windows Temp folder. Erase everything in it.
– In File Explorer, navigate to the following folder.
C: \ Users [username] \ AppData \ Roaming \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Start Menu \ Programs \ Startup
– Find any. EXE or.VBS files that look weird and delete them.
If the above method doesn’t work, you can try using AVG or Smadav antivirus to clean the shortcut virus.
That’s the article on How to Remove Shortcut Virus. Hope it is useful.