This article reviews how to use the Windows 10 MSRT to remove malicious applications. Windows 10 is indeed a great desktop operating system for computers and laptops. Windows 10 offers more security features and customization options than any other desktop operating system. If you are Windows 10, you probably know that the operating system offers a complete security package known as Windows Defender.
If we talk about Windows Defender, it is a great security package that protects your computer from various security threats like viruses, malware, spyware, etc. Thanks to Windows Defender, Windows 10 users no longer need to rely on additional antivirus software.
What is a Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT)?
Even though Windows Defender is capable enough to avoid most security threats, Microsoft has introduced another security tool to protect your computer. It is already a part of your Windows 10 operating system which Microsoft updates regularly to detect and remove known security threats. Every three months, the Malicious Software Removal tool receives a new update which usually appears on the Windows update page.
After Windows downloads the latest version of the MSRT tool, it will automatically run itself in the background without interrupting your work. This will display a report telling you about a malicious application if it finds an infection.
Now you may all be wondering how the MSRT is different from Windows Defender right? Malicious Software Removal Tool is designed to run on infected systems. That means, if your system is breached, you want to run it instead. The MSRT tool does not provide real-time protection like Microsoft defender, nor can it remove malicious applications that are not actively running.
After scanning your system, it lists the malware and shows instructions for dealing with a specific set of malware. So, it’s a utility that helps remove unwanted software that Windows Defender missed.
How to use the Windows 10 MSRT to remove malicious applications
So, if you are sure that your PC has some unwanted applications, you can run this program. You can always download and run the standalone version of the MSRT to manually check and remove malicious software.
Below, we share the steps on how to use the Windows 10 MSRT to remove malicious applications. Let’s check it out.
- First of all, open this webpage and click on the ‘ Download ‘ button.
- It is a portable tool and therefore does not require any installation.
- Double click on the executable file and click the Next button.
- You will find three scan type options – Quick Scan, Full Scan, and Customized Scan.
- If you want to scan your entire system, select ‘ Full Scan ‘. Meanwhile, Quick Scan is a folder scan option. Customized Scan performs a quick scan of the folders that you have defined.
- Select the type of scan that you want to perform and wait for the scan to complete.
- When finished, click the ‘ View detailed results of the scan ‘ option. This will list all the details of the scan.
The MSRT tool also creates a log file that informs you about the results of the scan. You can find this logfile at C: \ Windows \ Debug \ mrt.log
This is how to use the Windows 10 MSRT to remove malicious applications. Hopefully, this article is useful for you, thank you for visiting, and don’t forget to share it with your friends too.